Skip to content

The Raisin Resilience

18/11/2013

Risk of grapes and raisins for Dogs

Whilst it is known that grapes and raisins have been shown to be toxic to dogs, with 36% of canines who had ingested them going on to develop symptoms and a 7% death rate, many dogs can eat copious amounts and not have any reaction.
Recently my puppies managed to get hold of a 500g bag of Organic Giant Raisins, this had been put at a height presumed to be out of reach, and is not something I condone or advise, however, thankfully all pups are unscathed.
For those dogs that are susceptible, the toxic dose of grapes is estimated to be 19g/kg and of raisins, 3g/kg. Whilst the mechanism of toxicity is unclear, it is known to lead to renal failure and there have been reports of dogs dying after ingesting just 4 raisins.
Clinical signs are vomiting and diarrhea developing within a few hours of ingestion, with pieces of grape/raisin in what has passed. Acute renal failure develops within 48 hrs.
Please be vigilant, but know that whilst 4 raisins can kill a dog, 1 peanut can kill a person who has an allergy, not all dogs will die from raisin ingestion.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: